Tuesday, March 8, 2016

#7 The Art of Letting Go - You Want to Sell Your House, Right? #HomeStaginginAlbuquerque




Home Staging Tips and Suggestions by Melinda Potcher


There are three types of Home Sellers I work with;

#1 - I'm/We're in control, it's my/our house, it's my/our way or the highway



#2 - I/We have moved my/our ego to the side and detached, I/we am ready to let go and sell my/our house

#3 - I/We don't know what to think or what to expect, and I'm/We're going to "try" to go with the flow.  I/We have a "deer in the headlights mentality - I'm/We're frozen, and I/We need help.

There really is an art of letting go when it comes to selling your home.  You have to convince yourself it is no longer your nest, your abode, your refuge, your home.  The things you need to think about are basically that of a business person - Time, Money, Investment, Return on Investment.

When I meet with homeowners who are getting ready to list their homes for sale, some of them get really caught up and attached to personal items and especially decor/religious items within the home.  I want to encourage you to embrace the mindset of letting go.  If you continue to hold on the process will be more difficult for you.  Neither I nor your Realtor want you (or us) to have a negative experience.  Everyone wants everyone else to have a positive experience.  

If you have a collage of religious artifacts in every room, you may scare off some buyers in the pool for your property because they may not share similar beliefs.  It's nothing to be offended by - you want as many people as possible to feel welcome in the house you have listed for sale.

Same thing goes with collections of any kind - you may love frogs or beer steins or classic model cars.  When it comes to selling your real estate investment (it's not your home anymore if you really want to sell it), pack it up, let it go, and watch the process change.

Your Professional Home Stager (that would be me) and your Realtor want what is best for you and for your house.  If I suggest you consider repainting the lime green walls in your kitchen, don't take it personally, I only have your best interest at heart.  I want your house to sell quickly and for as much money as possible.  By and large, same thing goes for your Realtor and all the Realtors out there showing your house.  If you receive less than stellar feedback from Realtors showing your house, take a deep breath open your mind and consider what they are saying.  Try to be objective and see it from their perspective.  It's entirely possible it's one of two things;

#1 - Easy fix, I can do that, and I'm willing to do that to make the deal work and move forward.

#2 - Unrealistic expectations, I've consulted my Realtor and my Home Stager, and I'm not going to do that

There's a reason you hire a team of professionals to help you sell your house - they are your advisors, they are here to be of service and assistance to you and by all means, ask for their professional opinions.



2 comments: